This BLT in a bowl makes a great breakfast salad! I discovered this Spinach and Bacon Salad as a teenager when my mom and I stopped in at a little cafe on the courthouse square in Cherokee County. We liked it so much that I went home and figured out how to make it. I have never changed the recipe in over 40 years.
It is well loved at potlucks and I have been asked for the recipe many times, but when I share the secret that makes this salad taste so down home good they have all stared at me in total disbelief! All of the ingredients can be prepared ahead and mixed together when you’re ready to serve it. I hope it becomes a family favorite in your home too!
This salad will serve 4 as a main dish with a low carb bread accompanying it, but my husband and I can put a pretty good dent in it all by ourselves without the bread. It is his all time favorite salad and a real man pleaser!
If you’re needing to order kitchen supplies or groceries from Amazon I’d appreciate it if you could use my Amazon link. This will provide me with a little extra support for my blog at no extra cost to you! Thanks 🙂
- 8 - 10 oz. organic baby spinach (rinse and dry)
- 2 eggs boiled, cooled and cut in half then sliced
- 6 - 8 pieces thick sliced bacon (or more if you like, I use the all natural kind or they have really good turkey bacon available now and I think it would work really well)
- 1/2 or so medium red onion, thinly sliced, then cut in half (it's pretty and the best one to eat raw)
- 1/4 cup-1/2 cup (or more) on plan mayonnaise- I use Dukes - Keep adding it in till it's tasty.
- That's It!
- (I told you it was hard to believe, my husband never knew for all these years until I mentioned it to him when I was posting this recipe).
- Boil the eggs and cook the bacon. Let both of these cool. Rinse and dry the spinach if you prefer (--that's what I do these days--). Slice the onion and peel and slice the eggs. Cut the bacon into bite sized pieces. All of these ingredients can be prepared ahead and mixed together at serving time.
- When ready to serve, mix the mayonnaise and the spinach together gently in a very large bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients and fold them together gently also. No matter what you do the "goodies" will invariably sink to the bottom of this large mixing bowl. Carefully dump it into a glass serving bowl and this will transfer the spinach first and put the toppings back on top.