Yes, this Cafe Latte Caramel Macchiato is as good as it looks and yes it is sugar free! Admittedly this is another one of those recipes that I have made and enjoyed for months and finally felt so guilty that I just had to share it now. I make it with a combination of unsweetened almond milk and half and half which is the best approximation to whole milk that I have ever found. You can easily sub in cream to lower the carbs even more and increase the fat, but for *affiliate* Trim Healthy Mama’s like myself this drink fits perfectly as an S snack .
This style of coffee drink known as cafe macchiato or sometimes as latte macchiato is served world wide and known as “stained milk”. I found some good info in this link when I was reading on the subject. Normally cafe lattes are a combination of milk stained with a small amount of espresso. I love espresso, but don’t own a machine so I rely on cold brewed coffee for this drink. I highly recommend my newest find in cold brew coffee Stok Unsweetened because it just delivers that clean fresh flavor that makes these coffee drinks work. I’m including a link to help you locate this fantastic coffee in your area!
Since cold brewed coffee is not as strong as espresso I always use more and generally use a 1:1 ratio of milk to coffee and then add in whichever syrup I prefer. For this drink I like to use the vanilla/caramel syrup that makes this drink a ringer for the sugary commercially available Caramel Macchiato drinks sold in coffee houses.
Over the last few years, I have made several different coffee drinks and coffee syrups until I finally combined them all in one place last winter when I published the Sugar-Free Coffee House Syrup post. In that post, I included the blended Tiramisu Smoothie which is a unique dessert drink and the totally refreshing Iced Mock Cinnamon Dolce drink. This Macchiato is definitely in the same class as those two cold coffee drinks and I am so privileged to be able to share it with you all now.
Calling all Southern THMers to check out the latest unofficial FB group: THM Southern Foodies with Nana’s Little Kitchen where we’ll be sharing favorite THM Southern-style recipes both current and from years past plus kitchen tips, how-to videos and more! Hope to see you there soon <3
Get the latest updates from my social sites where I’m sharing recipes, tips, roundups and more every day! Follow me on:
I have included links to Amazon to buy the jars that we have been enjoying lately. This drink was designed to fit perfectly into these 24 oz glasses. (You can use a quart jar too, just add more ice!) I love these though because they fit into a standard cup holder for your car just like a 16 oz would, but they are taller. They are also handy to use in the freezer too!
I have included some links in this post that will help you find products to make this and other yummy creations taste just the way they are supposed to taste. If you order using these links they will reimburse me a small amount which will help me keep creating and posting new recipes to help us all enjoy a healthier diet. Thanks!
We love these glasses! They are 24 oz instead of 32 but I normally just make my drinks by the quart as usual and have these glasses to pour over into when I’m on the run. A standard wide mouth jar lid fits the top for storage or if you’re buying a sipper top and straw for them.
*affiliate link* 24 oz jar with lid
Or order a batch like I plan to do next:
* Affiliate link* Set of 9 jars with lids
I purchased my coffee already cold brewed for the sake of consistency (I need to be able to recommend a specific amount for a given product) Here is a link to help you find this fantastic coffee in your area!
- Don't be afraid to make a sugar free syrup all you have to do is heat water and whisk, whisk, whisk!
- 1 cup VERY hot water
- 1/2 cup Gentle Sweet Sweetener (or 1/4 cup Pyure or Truvia still good but not quite as sugary tasting)
- 1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum (serves as a binder and this syrup will not separate at all)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I use a high quality organic to insure a clean flavor)
- 1/4 teaspoon caramel flavoring (I use Watkins and get it at Wal-mart - The key is keeping the amount of caramel flavoring very small here.)
- 1 cup cold brewed coffee
- 3/4 cup unsweetened original almond milk (I love blue diamond)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon collagen protein
- 1/4 cup half and half (or to lower carbs you can use 2 tablespoons or more heavy cream)
- 1/4 cup caramel latte syrup
- For the easy syrup! Heat water to almost boiling and remove from the heat then quickly WHISK in the following ingredients to make the vanilla/caramel syrup. Be sure and whisk after each additional ingredient. This will make four drinks and keeps in the fridge for weeks.
- For the 24 oz glass I fill it half full of ice. Then I pour in the 1/4 cup latte syrup and top that with a mixture of the almond milk, 1/2 and 1/2 or cream, and collagen protein. Carefully pour the beautiful coffee over this mixture and you will have a perfect glass of a coffee drink so yummy you will only need to go to the coffee house for ambience and to visit friends!