This Sugar Free Spiced Cranberry Sauce was popular on my old blog a couple of years ago and I was delighted to find fresh cranberries in the store this week so that I could make it again and transfer it over here.
Sugar Free Spiced Cranberry Sauce is so nourishing and satisfying that it really hits the spot left by the disappearance of summer’s fresh berries. Making this sauce is about a 12 minute project from start to finish and then you are in for a real taste experience with this flavorful, power packed, super food of a sauce that is nice to have around for so many reasons.
Watch for affiliate links in these posts. Buying the products you need to make these recipes will cost you nothing but it will help me with the upkeep on this blog. Thanks!
This sauce makes a minimum of 4 parfaits or you may use it to accompany many other tasty treats that you wish to fortify with cranberries; one of the the zestiest flavors of fall.
- 2 cups fresh whole cranberries, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup Gentle Sweet or *1/4 cup truvia or Pyure
- 1 or 2 dashes of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pure orange extract- available in most grocery stores
- 1/4 cup or more cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup or more 0% greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped nuts for sprinkling on top
- Put the first 3 ingredients into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer gently on low for 10 minutes, stirring frequently until the cranberries have popped and the sauce has begun to thicken.
- I always tend to taste it at this point, before the sweet juice has cooked into the berries, because it's just so pretty....bad idea. Press the cranberries with a spoon or masher until all are mashed and mixed together. Now add in the cinnamon and orange extract.
- 1/2 cup 0% greek yogurt sweetened to taste with on plan sweetener (I used Gentle Sweet but Pyure or Truvia would be just as good in this one case)
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup Spiced Cranberry Sauce (see recipe)
- I sprinkled on just a tiny amount of chopped nuts as shown, not enough to increase the fat count out of FP mode, but just give it a little necessary fat plus some crunch and a indulgent feel.
- Layer starting with a dab of cranberry sauce and continue to top of dish then top with a tiny sprinkle of nuts and/or a small spritz of fat free whipped cream (only a small spritz is on plan)
- For S Parfait: (Low carb)
- Just use a higher fat greek yogurt and add the S extras like nuts and regular sweetened whipped cream.
- SERVES 4 as a Parfait Sauce.
- * If using Truvia or Pyure you might need to add a little extra powdered xylitol or erythritol for extra sweetness and no bitterness of extra stevia in this dish.
- *I'm NOT the biggest fan of 0% greek yogurt but I'm telling you it's great in this parfait, I love it because this recipe is so flavorfully forgiving you can hardly go wrong with this sauce!