Finally a low carb flat bread that delivers the flavor and texture that I’ve been missing for a while and when combined with a few of my favorite veggies in this low carb version of a Tomato Spinach Panini it makes a great lunch! For extra protein I added a thick slice of all natural sandwich meat and it is fantastic with a great low carb Italian dressing. I converted this bagel bread recipe using baking blend in place of a couple of ingredients and it is much “breadier” in my opinion and a cinch to handle without that xanthan gum. This recipes replaces a sandwich that I made for years and served with an Italian dressing for dipping; which was a perennial favorite with my family. We think this one hits that spot, perfectly!
The flat bread rolls out easily onto a parchment paper covered cookie sheet or silicone mat. Scoring ahead of baking time will allow you to get the size of the bread just right as you can easily press mistakes out of the damp dough and re-score. Pop it in the oven for a few minutes and you have a great flavored and nicely textured flat bread.
To make this recipe you will need Trim Healthy Mama’s [eafl id=2163 name=”THM Baking Blend” text=”Baking Blend”] (affiliate link) in order to achieve the light tender texture. In a pinch you might try to make your own using this recipe.
- 1 1/2 cup low fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1/2 cup THM baking blend
- 1 egg
- 1 sliced tomatoe
- 1/4 sliced purple onion
- baby Spinach
- Thickly sliced all natural sandwich meat
- Extra slices of mozzarella cheese
- Soften the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese together and mix well. Mix in the baking blend until it is well mixed and add in the egg. It will quickly form a nice lump of dough. No extra binder is needed when using the baking blend, because it contains it already. Place the dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Shape the dough into a rough rectangular shape and cover with another piece of parchment paper and roll out into a nice flat shape.
- Score the dough into 6 pieces and bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees and check to see if it's brown. If not continue baking and checking every few minutes so that it doesn't get crisp if you want a soft bread, otherwise cook it till it gets more crisp.
This bread makes a great accompaniment to a salad too!